Saturday, November 26, 2011

Bystander- Richard Cot

June 24, 1943
Never, in my life have I been so disturbed!  Disturbed in thought and action, I have been since yesterday. To retrace how this disturbance came about, I need to retell how yesterday went by. Yesterday was the day, the long awaited visit to Terezin, a Nazi camp. Basically my role in this visit was to get first hand information on how the deported Danish Jews are doing in the Nazi camps for the Danish leaders. Apparently the Danish leaders are like everybody else afraid to face the Nazis. Speaking of cowardness, the Danish leaders are not the only people afraid of the Nazis, the Red Cross (heroes of the world) are also afraid of the Nazis. So when no one volunteered to go on the visit, I 19 year old boy lived up to his name and volunteered to go on this visit. Hahaha, enough about my bravery, onto the visit. So just before 12:00 pm yesterday, as our transport slipped into a city, I gave myself into anxiety. This city, Terezin looked so happily rich and wealth on the outside. I had only seen this city from the outside but yet, I eagerly wanted to go into this city already. Stepping out of the transport, we were greeted by the sound of musical drums in a distance. Musically they played to my rhythm, making me let loose of my nervous feelings which had been my companions for a long time. When we stepped into the city, I was shocked. It looked way better than my home neighborhood. We were stepping on tarmac roads not gravel roads. Houses were painted perfectly, grass grew on the sidelines of the roads, people moved around economically and friendly. Shops were open filled with goods. Oh the smell of fresh baked bread! In my neighborhood we have to pay for these goods but it seemed like these goods were free. All children here had a full bar of chocolate (very expensive) and did not fight amongst to get a piece of it. We were led next to the playground; man I had never seen children this happy. Smiles on their faces just made me want to smile too. They were all extremely happy and loving life. Straight ahead, attractive looking girls about my age chattered happily when they saw us walk around. These girls glowed like angels. Which is why, I out of my own control went over to one of the girls and asked them if they loved life here? The girl’s answer was totally unexpected, she stammered for a long time as she simply said I love it here. She loved it here, was that hard to say? This girl’s answer to my question stuck in my thoughts throughout the remaining part of the visit. Why was she stammering? She had an easy question. The question was simple. Thoughts about the girl hiding something struck me, she lived in the most perfect place but yet it was hard for her to answer this question. Did she really mean her answer. Theories evolved through my brain, were the Nazis hiding something? Were they covering up some deeds beneath? Was this all fake? Did they prepare for this visit long before? I found myself focused on this thought up to this very hour. It gets worse, once I got home; I undecidedly reported back to the Danish leaders that life at Terezin was perfect for the Jews. Of course they were counting on my report, so what I told them, they believed and took it as it is. I cannot congratulate myself of this deed. I have not lived up to my name. I feel extremely guilty for what I told the Danish leaders. I mean life looks good for the Jews at Terezin, but I cannot help but worry that the Nazis as might as they are described are hiding the truth from us.

No comments:

Post a Comment